South Arm is constantly engaging in world-class research and development through collaboration with our network of customers from many leading universities. Our lab is well equipped and features a Cameca SX100 electron microprobe, Agilent 7700 ICP–MS, Agilent 7500 ICP–MS and LA–ICP–MS product development, X-ray diffraction, X-ray fluorescence and optical microscope.
- Isotopic analysis Pb in sulphides and silicates U-Pb dating in zircons, apatites & monazites Rb-Sr, Sm-Nd, and Pb isotopes systematics of pyrite.
- Re-Os dating in molybdenite, pyrite, and Cu- sulphides In-situ Rb/Sr (using LA-Q3-ICP-MS) of micas
Electron Probe Microanalysis (EPMA) and Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) are closely related techniques for high-magnification imaging and spatially resolved chemical analysis of solid samples. The microXRF uses a primary x-ray beam and EDS for lower resolution chemical microanalysis.
APPLICATION ON MINERAL DEPOSITS
- Trace and major elements in sulphides, silicates, oxides and carbonates.
- Mapping of element distribution in single mineral crystals
- Hydrothermal alteration vectoring, fertility (white rocks, green rocks, HS overprint)
Igneous, sedimentary & metamorphic rock description + analysis with the aim to determine:
- Identification and description of the generation of non-metallic mineral species
- Mineral size.
- Mineral associations
- Alterations & replacements
- Texture types
- Rock classification
The integration of the petrographic and mineralogic studies focused on the recognition of the existing relationships between the ore and gangue minerals.
Description and analysis of metallic minerals with the aim to:
- Identification and description of the generation of metallic mineral species.
- Mineral size.
- Texture types and exsolutions.
- Mineral associations.
- Paragenetic sequence.